Sunday, February 14, 2010

All You Need Is


In honor of Valentine's Day, I want to shine some "lyte" on love. Love is truly a universal topic. Kind of like body fat but with a lot more angst involved. Love has been the theme of countless books, movies, and songs. We yearn for it, we scorn it, we can't live without it. We analyze it, we criticize it, and we demonize it.

Love can make us better versions of ourselves or drive to lengths we didn't know we were capable of. It can make sane people crazy and crazy people crazier. Love is a noun and a verb all at the same time. We make it, we break it, but we just can't shake it.

I have been enormously lucky in love. That luck has been 28 years in the making, but I feel lucky just the same. I have the delight and honor to married to someone I not only love, but actually like and admire. There were times when I couldn't stand the way he breathed, but we got through that. We have grown up together and if we are fortunate, we will grow old together.

But I have been lucky not just in romantic love, but the other kinds too. I am awash in love. My children, my family, my friends, all surround me in the ether of love. My cup truly runneth over. So today, the most love-filled day of the year, I want to recognize all the people that I love and that manage to love me. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment