Monday, July 11, 2011

Where Do We Go From Here?


Wow, half of 2011 has gone by and this is my first blog of this year. I guess when you're in the dryer, time flies. I know, most people talk about life's ups and downs but my life has been more like a ride in dryer. No sense of up or down, left or right, the only constant is change and disorientation. Well, and on some days, nausea.

Financially, things have definitely been on the upswing. My husband is now fully employed in the field that he loves. But now I find myself on the unemployment line. See what I mean about a dryer? But given the fact that our kids will soon be making that all important transition from home to college in the next year makes my unexpected sojourn at home seem fated.

Don't get me wrong, I have not forgotten the multitude of lessons I have learned during the past few years of economic turmoil, but the opportunity to be fully present for my family during a crucial rite of passage makes a certain sense. I spent the bulk of my time as a full time parent while my kids were growing up and to be home to see it through does give a certain satisfaction. It does not hurt that my unemployment means that I will get paid to be here.

This unplanned hiatus does afford a chance to look at my life and make some decisions. The fact that it coincides with the graduations of my kids, the start of my own metamorphosis via the approach of menopause, and other various and sundry life-altering changes can only be coincidence. Or maybe just a new dryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment