Monday, March 2, 2009

A Bitter Harvest



Today I want to shed a little "lyte" on reaping what you sow.  My family has been a victim of this economic downturn.  My husband is unemployed, I had to cash out my kid's college fund to pay our bills, and I watch the value of our home go down with each passing day.

I am pissed.  The policies pursued by the previous administration has broken my country and it is going to take time to fix it.  I never voted for the former President, hell, I never supported the clown, even after 9/11, I knew he was an idiot before he even got the nomination in 1999.  He is a trust-fund baby who never succeeded at a single business venture.  He couldn't find oil in Texas for crying out loud.  

He was a C student, a faux cowboy with a serious Oedipus complex.  I couldn't bear to hear his voice or watch him on TV.  It chaps my butt that Clinton got impeached for lying about having consensual sex with an adult, but W lied about WMDs and as a result, over 4000 Americans are dead, countless Iraqis are dead and displaced, but W will never probably have to answer for his crimes.

And let's not forget that until this year, the Iraqi invasion and occupation were off the books.  Always treated as an "emergency appropriation" in order to hide the true cost of the whole mess.  Do you know how they are trying to track how much money we sent over there?  By how much the planes weighed!  I wish I was kidding, but since no one bothered with any type of oversight, the only record we have is the plane's manifest and they are comparing the weight of the plane empty versus the weight of the plane once the money was loaded onto it.  They can then extrapolate how much money was on it, of course we have no idea what denominations were used since a $1 bill weighs the same as a $100 bill.  And Jesus wept.

Can we even calculate the human cost?  Thousands of Americans dead, and tens of thousands of Americans wounded.  Hundreds of thousands of dead or missing Iraqis and over 20% of the country's population has either left or been displaced.  Not to mention the price of our shame over Abu Gharib.  A single picture can recruit ten thousand terrorists.

This is just the Iraqi invasion and occupation.  I haven't even started on Bush's domestic policies.  That's a topic for another post.  I can only handle so much vitriol in one day.  My issue is that the former president doesn't even have the courage to own his mistakes.  "Mistakes were made."  That is the mantra of the previous administration.  Like mistakes don't have faces attached to them.  Or consequences.  W won't have to pay the price for his choices.  Unfortunately, we the people get to reap this bitter harvest.   


1 comment:

  1. Gingrich, Limbaugh, and others are already branding this the "Obama" economy - talk about passing the buck.

    I don't know how we can afford these wars - we can't - and it is heartbreaking to think of how solvent this nation was after Clinton left office. Maybe if we are lucky, we can afford the luxury of a Republican president in the future- though hopefully we will have learned our lesson.

    ReplyDelete