Friday, April 10, 2009

Hooked On The Book


Today I want to shine some "lyte" on social networking.  I recently joined Facebook.  Now I am a FB junkie.  I never really understood all the hoopla about social networks.  I preferred to make my friends the old-fashioned way, face to face, one person at a time.

But no more!  I am in a friending frenzy.  Facebook is like a big party that is happening 24/7.  You can drink cocktails, share good karma, and find out which TV mom you most resemble.  Apparently, I most resemble Sharon Osbourne.  I know next to nothing about the woman.  But I do know that my husband is nothing like Ozzy Osbourne.

I have found old high school classmates.  My cousin, who lives across town, and I have been in contact more than when I moved here...ten years ago.  I've reconnected with folks all over the country.  I haven't spent this much time on my computer since the first time I played Myst.

A word of caution about friending.  Unless you are a teenager, think long and hard before friending them.  If you want constant updates on their state of mind, great.  But I have two of my own, and I get plenty of that action in real time.

My kids mock me.  Well, they are a little put out, since I am now horning in on their computer time.  My husband (typically) is not interested in setting up his own site, he prefers for me to yell out updates on our friends and family while I am on FB.  

So, it is official.  I thought blogging would make me feel like I was part of the World Wide Web.  No, it took a party.  Some things never change.


No comments:

Post a Comment