Friday, April 24, 2009

Reality Check


Today I am shedding "lyte" on reality.  We are all atwitter about torture.  What to do?  A truth commission, an independent prosecutor, a tribunal?  What should we do!?  And not to sound insensitive, but I am kind of over torture.  I know we did it.  I know it is wrong and illegal.  But I don't think anyone is going to pay for it.

Yes, part of me would love to see orange jumpsuits and perp walks.  But I am going to date myself here, does anyone remember Iran-Contra?  We had the bastards cold; selling arms to the axis of evil, we are holding your people hostage, Iranians and then using the money to support a group of people in Nicaragua that were considered terrorists in their own country.  And all without the Congress's knowledge, support or permission.  What happened?  14 administration personnel were charged with crimes, 11 were convicted, and all were pardoned.  Ollie North got up there and said he did it because he loved his country and he would do it again.  He got a radio show.

So what do think is going to happen if we haul Rumsfeld, Cheney, Bybee, and company in front of judge or committee.  "I only did it because I loved my country."  "Our homeland had been attacked, we did only what we thought was necessary."  "Go ahead and imprison me, I'm still a patriot."  Yada, yada, yada.  The rabid right will enshrine these thugs as martyrs and we will all waste valuable time and energy and money on re-energizing their base.

President Obama knows this, so does Senator Harry Reid.  That's why they are putting the brakes on this, letting all the information be disseminated first.  Let the winds of public opinion blow and howl.  But don't act too hastily.  We have had a couple of years to get used to the idea that we were the bad guys, letting the truth come out would be cathartic.  Just don't start the subpoenas yet.

If there are trials, let them happen on an international level.  Put it out Nuremberg style, and let the world decide.  This would take it beyond our petty, partisan bickering and associate these thugs with the Nazis.  "I was only following orders."  Perfect.  But it won't happen.  This is our mess and we get to clean it up.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment