Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What A Long, Strange Trip It's Been


I am shedding some "lyte" on milestones today.  My husband and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary.  The silver anniversary, so if you want to send gifts, make sure they are of the precious metal variety.

25 years is a long time.  Many of the couples that started out on this journey with us have fallen by the wayside.  My husband and I aren't special, we didn't practice any marital voodoo.  We faced the same ups and downs that all marriages face, we just did it together.  Most of the time.

There were years were we did not see eye to eye.  At times the mere sound of him breathing was enough to drive me crazy.  I am sure I irritated him as well, though I doubt as much.  We went through the waning of passion, the power struggles.  The life changes:  birth of progeny, loss of jobs, deaths of parents.  We were kids when we married and now we can't believe that twenty five years have passed.  We swear our parents were older when they celebrated their silver anniversaries.

When we got married, Reagan was in the White House and the Berlin Wall still stood.  People were just starting to talk about AIDS.  We were just coming out of a recession. (some things never change!)  There were no cell phones, personal computers, or world wide webs.  The hottest thing was cable TV. People were debating VHS versus Beta.  MTV still played music videos.  Our wedding was video taped, but the camera was the size of Buick and the camera man had to go home and change because he sweated through his clothing during the church service. 

We had our reception at the newly built Moose Lodge.  We served cold cuts and had a kegger.  I heard "Celebration" played for the first time at my wedding reception.  My parents shelled out $5000 for entire wedding, including my dress.  We honeymooned in Michigan.

You see, it isn't how grand your start is, it is in how you finish.  A wedding is just one day, it how you spend the next 9124 days that count.  I am happy to say that passion returns, troubles pass, and power can be shared......sort of.


No comments:

Post a Comment