Friday, July 10, 2009

Secret Agent Man


I want to shed a little "lyte" on secrecy.  Am I the only one not surprised that the Bush administration's spying was a lot more extensive than what they admitted to?  A report out today gives some broad outlines on what was (and is) a massive violation of our civil rights, justified with the old saw, "9/11 changed everything".

The five inspector generals that authored the report call them "unprecedented collection activities".  I call it a stupendous power grab by the executive branch of our government.  All in the name of protecting us.  The report says that too few government officials knew what was going on, never mind having the opportunity to actually approve it.

And the kicker is, we may never know.  Again, using the protective mantle of "national security", a handful of Bushies spied on anyone, anytime, for any reason.  Why doesn't this make me feel safer?  And why don't I trust the current administration to make it go away?

Power, once seized, is rarely given up.  President Obama has show remarkable reluctance to shine any light, or make transparent, the darker side of government.  And Congress, being a reactive body, comes to the party a little late.  Now, they're demanding investigations?  I don't remember Tom DeLay being even the least bit curious.  I hope Nancy Pelosi straps a pair on and gets busy.

But I doubt it.  We Americans seem frighteningly comfortable with Big Brother.  Why are we okay with a government big enough to tap every phone line, and scrutinize every email,  but not with a government big enough to provide healthcare to all its citizens?  Is this the small government the Republicans are so proud of?  Small enough to fit into the earpiece of my Bluetooth?  I hope not.




No comments:

Post a Comment