Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Milestones and Headstones


I want to shed some "lyte" on accomplishments. Yesterday I wrote my 100th posting on my blog. I cannot believe that I have generated so many opinions in so little time and with so little effort. Amazing what motivators anger and disbelief can be.

I also realized that I am officially old and out of touch. I was on the "Entertainment" section of Huffington Post today and did not know who anyone was, other than Kevin Bacon of course. Who is Heidi Montag? And Channing Tatum? You know you are on the down hill side of popular culture when you no longer recognize anyone.

Of course, I handicap myself by never watching any show on a major network. I have never seen "American Idol" or that show where washed up celebrities go to dance. I stopped watching MTV sometime during the first Clinton adminstration. I mostly check out HGTV and Bravo. I am a faithful viewer of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" and the "Colbert Report". I have stopped watching CNN or MSNBC. Once Obama was elected, I was done with the 24/7 newscycle and its band of crazies.

I only get weekend delivery of my newspaper and then I only read the Sunday edition. I still subscribe to Vanity Fair. I only peruse Google News and Huffington Post to get ideas to blog about, otherwise, I am just immersing myself in books. Real books, no Kindle for me.

Yes, I am out of touch with our mainstream culture, and it feels pretty good. Now remind me, just who is Bradley Cooper? Or Jaime Pressly? And why should I care?

No comments:

Post a Comment