Monday, October 26, 2009

Part of the Team


Today I want to shed some "lyte" on contributing. For the past fifteen years, my primary preoccupation and occupation has been being a full time, stay at home, parent. My husband and I made the decision well before our children were born that when the time came, who ever made the most money would work, the other parent would stay home. For a while, I was the primary breadwinner, but by the time our twins were born, my husband out earned me.

Losing 40% of our take home pay was not easy. We have had to live with debt and certain amount of economic uncertainty, especially in the last few years. But we both felt that the sacrifice was worth it. Staying home was not easy for me. At times it was mind numbingly dull and incredibly tedious. It didn't help that while most of society lauds women for choosing family over career, that praise is merely lip service. I got used to seeing zeroes on my Social Security statement and watching peoples' eyes glaze over when I answered that ice-breaking question at parties, "So, what do you do for a living?"

I did work part time for most of my kids' childhood. I volunteered until my eyes bled. But I missed having a "real job". So I spent the past few months looking for a full time position. Between the economy and the gaps in my resume, my job search was a true exercise in humility. No one would even interview me. I kept reminding myself that Las Vegas is one of the worst job markets in America, but it gave me scant comfort.

Well, out of the blue, my future came to me. I was approached in one of my part time jobs and offered a chance. I cannot tell you how much just the act of being interviewed soothed my much-battered ego. My joy was increased a thousandfold when I was offered the job.

I started today. And while motherhood has been one of the most fulfilling roles I have ever had, I cannot begin to tell you how good it feels to work again. And while I have always contributed, I cannot pretend that a bigger paycheck doesn't feed me in a way that all the platitudes do not. Just don't tell my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment